Saturday, April 11, 2009

cardboard playground & little struggles

My friend Elena inspired me to start a writing jounral, in case you are interested: http://cardboardplayground.blogspot.com/

I volunteered at the library. It was my second time volunteering, so, I wasn't expecting it to be so great, but, I was pleasantly surprised by the request that I work in the YA section. Immediately, I wondered if they had any John Green or Maureen Johnson books. The librarian (a very sweet woman in a jazzy flower print shirt) asked me to shift some of the books to make room on the shelves. I love doing work like that. It's fun for me to spend two hours in a quiet library moving books without having to concentrate on anything else.

They had all three of John Green's books and I noticed 13 Little Blue Envelopes, which was the first Maureen Johnson book I read. It's always cool to see your favorite books on shelves, at stores or at libraries, so that was actually pretty fun. There were other books I recognized too. I'm not sure what it is about just seeing a book I know, but, I always get excited. It was just Mark Twain, which you see most anywhere, but, I was still excited.

When I finished, my mom came to pick me up with my dad and my sister in the car. We all went up to the mall to eat. At the food court, there was a pair of girls. They looked around eleven years old. One looked very bubblegum with blonde hair, pink flip flops and a very girly girl shirt. The other had her hair died a very dark red and was obviously trying to dress to impress and live up to the change of her hair. I turned to my mom at the table and just whispered flat out "I think I hate those girls." The tiny little bubblegum girly had an Arby's sandwich that was about as big as her head! "That's it," I told my mom, "they're getting blogged!" I find it so frustrating the way this generation is acting. Why do these girls have to ruin it for those of us who want to be ourselves and live our lives without worrying about Ugg boots or hairstyles? Why?

After that, we dropped Ruth off at work, then we went shopping for some Easter candy and some clothes for myself. I bought some new brown flats that will serve as shoes for one of my scene's in Little Women and a few pairs of jeans. I bought one pair too small on purpose, because I plan to fit into them...sooner or later. The other two pairs I didn't try on, which was my own mistake. I assumed they would fit, but, they don't. It's times like these that I struggle in my own head over my weight. On one hand, I honestly do not want to be skinny. I've always bee overweight and I like my stomach, but, it does get in the way when I want to buy new clothes. I got very upset when I got home and the pants didn't fit. My dad is going to take them back for me, which I appreciate.

I'm home, now. Kicking back with some Gertrude Hawk Smidgens and my family, watching some special on IFC. This post is getting quite long. I'll stop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment