Monday, August 10, 2009

17/100 Blogs in 100 Days

I went to Wendy's with my sister and my mom today.

My sister and I fought. It's a usual occurrence.

My mom and I had pleasant, engaging conversation. Fortunately, that too is a usual occurrence.

Ruth (sister) and I were on thin ice before we left, anyway, because of something atrocious that a band she likes did to a band I love and hold near and dear to my heart.

Now, I've never flat out hated Green Day. They are talented boys who obviously have something to offer, or they wouldn't have stuck around so long. But, I've never worshiped them, either. They are sort of mediocre in my book. I like some of their early songs and American Idiot isn't that bad of an album. I like it, in fact.

But, I'm sort of sick of it.

I feel like Billy Joe just keeps on saying the same thing over and over just because he has a microphone.

We heard you the first time, Bill.

So, when I found out that Green Day did a cover of A Quick One (While He's Away), one of my all time favorite creations of my beloved band The Who, I wasn't all that excited.

I heard it and discovered that this feeling was justified.



This song is not the sort of song that bands who are not The Who can pull off. Keith Moon, John Entwistle, Pete Townshend, and Roger Daltrey all really make it their own. It belongs to them. I can forgive people for covering most Who songs. I'll never like the other versions, I don't think, but I can forgive them.

However, there is a list of their songs that are off limits.

A Quick One is one of those songs.

So, Green Day, let's agree that you should stop doing this song live and pissing off Who fans. It hurts all of us, you know?

And Billy Joe, if my memory is correct, I think you've seen Roger naked. I know that must make you feel like you know him pretty well. Well, you don't know him well enough to sing his part of this song. And, if I heart right, you fucked up the lyrics to Pete's part as well.

It really upsets me to hear people do these things to the songs I love. Pete tried to do it solo without Keith, John, and Roger and I nearly cried.

Everyone stop fucking around with the music I love. Goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment