Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kiri

With the 'best friend' I used to have, I really feel and felt like I was always just superior.

I would listen to her sing and know I could do better. I would read her writing and know that I was better. We were in 2 plays together, and I knew that I was putting a better foot forward.

It got tiring, having to encourage her and convince her she was good when I never actually believed it.

We stopped talking, and I was relieved (not just for this reason, but, for a variety of reasons.) It took a while to cut the tie, but, now it is and I am so much happier for it.

This year, I met a girl. Her name is Kiri. Kiri (I hope she doesn't mind my saying) is my best friend.

It definitely is not tiring, being friends with her. I feel like we have a balance of talent and enthusiasm that blends well together.

She is a much better singer than I am, and I love her for it. I love to listen to her sing and be able to just sit back and say 'Yes, she is better than me. And I love to hear that superiority.'

She tells me I am a great writer, and while I love to read what she writes, I still think I am a better writer. I'm glad for the fact that she likes to read what I write, and that she actually does read all of it.

When we are on the stage, we both go all out.

I love us as a friendship. I've never been so glad for a friendship ending, because without Amanda and I quitting, I may have never gotten close with Kiri. And I love her a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Julia.
    I love you too.
    You are definitely my best friend and a much better writer than I am.
    I'm glad I ditched some of my friend because now I'm friends with you.
    :]

    ReplyDelete