Thursday, June 11, 2009

ELVIS COSTELLO: OMG I LOVE YOU EDITION

On Tuesday, June 9, I, Julia Metzgar, experienced one of the best concerts ever performed and the best one I have ever attended.

It was Elvis Costello.

The theater was just beautiful. In the middle of the ceiling was a huge, sparkling chandelier that was hanging from a circular portion of the ceiling that was painted to look like a blue, cloudy sky. Before the concert started, I stared at it and was almost convinced it was a window.

When he came onstage, he was wearing a great purple hat and a very stylish pink tie. I love all of his outfits, and I was very excited to see what he would wear. He was sweating like a whore in church through the whole concert, but, he does look great in a suit.

I am going to name a few songs that you may or may not know. If you don't know Elvis, I suggest very highly that you get to know him. He is probably my favorite recording artist ever.

He opened with a song I love called "My Resistance is Low." He did a great job. He and his band, The Sugarcanes. (His new album is called "Secret, Profane and Sugarcane".)

Some of the more noteable songs that he performed were a "Delivery Man" and a bluegrass version of "Everyday I Write The Book" that I loved. There was also a song off of the new album that I love called "Sulfur to Sugarcane." At the end, there are notes that he really sings and holds. When he sang them, I just couldn't stop smiling. He is a spectacular performer.

Though there were some foolish (and drunk) audience members-- screaming out things like "ROCK N' ROLL!" when it was a bluegrass/country concert, and "WE LOVE YOU, ELVIS!" to which Elvis responded "We love you, too. Both individually and as a group." -- the concert went fairly smoothly. He came back for a full half hour of encores, if that gives you any idea.

After, we waited around back to see if he would come out and talk to anyone. He did, and it was great. John (my brother) got an autograph, just as I did the first time I saw an Elvis Costello concert. I didn't get to talk to Elvis, but, seeing him made me equally happy.

The setlist can be found at the bottom of this review.

2 comments: