Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Great Escape

This summer has quickly become movie filled.

I like the feeling of finishing a movie. When you first see the credits start to scroll and that song starts up. That song that plays to the exact emotions you're supposed to be feeling after that final scene.

There is no arguing against liking that feeling of finishing a movie, I don't think.

Whether you liked the movie or not, it must be satisfying. If you liked it, you liked it. You're left thinking about the characters or what's going to happen to them now that they are off in that whiteness of everything we don't know about that fictional world they are in. If you hated it, you hated it. You're left frustrated that you devoted two hours of your life to caring what happened to those characters in that fictional world. You want to get up, stretch your legs, and move on. And now that it's over, you can.

I'm glad that movies exist. Books are great and grand and everything between, but, movies are a different kind of escape. I think that when you see the wrinkles in her jeans or the vase on the bookshelf in the background that slip through authors' fingers, those little things are there for you to see in movies. I like that.

I'm glad for good movies. I'm glad for good directors, and good actors, and good producers.

I like this brand of escape.

1 comment:

  1. I so agree.
    I love details in movies, but I'm still a sucker for books.

    ReplyDelete