Wednesday, July 29, 2009

5/100 Blogs in 100 Days

So, at my elementary school, there were two playgrounds. The little kids used the tiny playground for recess and the big kids used the larger one. One fantastic upgrade on the larger playground was the addition of the swing set.

Was this a big deal for fifth grader me? Yes. Yes, it was.

The only problem with this new development was that it was also a big deal to other kids. Other, faster kids who would make it a point to sprint out of the school and toward that swing set like a bat out of hell.

I tried to beat them to it, but, almost always failed. And, since there were only four good swings and the rest hung so low to the ground your ass would drag, I was shit outta luck most days.

I remember the good days, though. When my favorite teacher would be on recess duty and all the kids would rather play tag with him. I sucked at tag, so I never played and that meant that the swing sets were almost completely empty. So, I would steal the best swing and save the second best for whatever friend I was hanging out with that day.

We would pump our little fifth grade legs and tip our heads back until my hair dragged in the dirt. Was this disgusting? Yes. Did I care? No.

Elementary school was great. Recess was great. Would I rather be there than in high school? Yes. But, at least high school gets me closer to college which might get me closer to my dream of NYU becoming a reality.

School is such a jungle. The steps you take are almost never forward, it seems. They are just steps avoiding treachery and peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment