Friday, May 29, 2009

Prom Night

I'm not sure what the point of prom is.

I never really had a beef with it until my sister started planning everything for her prom (which is tonight.)

I mean, what it basically consists of is 1)spending too much money on clothes, transportation, tickets, and the food, 2) worrying too much over whether or not you can get a date, and 3)parents not wanting kids to have sex or drink when most of them will anyway.

Why spend $200 on a dress or a tux that you will probably never wear again? Why buy heels if you just happen to be a girl who loves flats? Why force yourself into a costume (complete with a mask of make-up) for a night if it isn't Halloween?

I hate the idea of renting a limo for the night, too. You can't just drive in a car? Is that not classy enough? It's a high school dance! And why spend so much money on tickets? My sister had to pay for hers in installments. What, is she buying a car?

Don't even get me started on the date aspect. I know girls and guys who went the whole school year happy and single who wanted to tear themselves apart when they couldn't find a date for prom. If you don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend, why should you freak out about going to prom with someone on our arm? It's basically going to a dance with a stranger! Go with friends. What's wrong with that?

Kids, don't freak your parents out. Just go and have fun. You don't need to get drunk or high or lose your virginity. It's prom night. Do you really want to play into that? Do you really want to lose your virginity with that tacky dress and that hairstyle that you would never wear otherwise, with your fake nails and your make-up on about a billion times thicker than normal? Doesn't seem ideal.

I hope that there are girls who are going to prom for the fun of it instead of for all the wrong reasons. It's just a dance. So dance and forget the rest.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree.

    The whole dress thing is dumb. For Marina we bought her's a day or two after all the proms in the area so it was only like 30 some dollars. And for a prom dress that cheap, but it was so beautiful!

    The limo is stupid to. First off why pay money to rent such a big car if mostly it's only two people in it? I think limo's should only be used for weddings.

    I think it's great when people go with their friends. Because sometimes the person you ask may not be your best friend and it may be an akward date. I think it would be awesome just to go with friends.

    That's all from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you also.

    For some reason though, I just think it's supposed this huge thing in a teenagers life.

    I'm not really sure why though?

    ReplyDelete